When an abortion occurs, the woman is not allowed to mourn the death of her child. She is encouraged to treat the experience as insignificant. She finds, instead of comfort and support, tremendous pain. This pain has been called Post-Abortion Syndrome.
Symptoms of Post-Abortion Syndrome may include: denial, anger, guilt, depression, child abuse, inability to forgive self and others, recurring nightmares, eating disorders, drug and alcohol dependencies, and suicidal tendencies.
“Post-Abortion Syndrome displays the hallmark of repressed mourning, guilt, pain, and impacted grief. However, once recognized and defined, PAS can be healed and a woman’s grief and suffering can be worked through and relief from her pain secured.” – Dr. Vincent Rue, Ph.D.
Partial List of Abortion Related Information Web Sites (courtesy of American Victims of Abortion)
- National Right to Life (general abortion and euthanasia issues, legislative activity) ww.nrlc.org
- Association for Interdisciplinary Research in Values and Social Change (PAS research) www.abortionresearch.us
- After Abortion (broad source of resources) www.afterabortion.org
- WECARE World Expert Consortium for Abortion Research and Education www.wecareexperts.org
- Project Rachel (links to Project Rachel and Rachel’s Vineyard Retreats, etc. www.hopeafterabortion.com
- Bethesda The House of Mercy (excellent support resources) www.bethesdathehouseofmercy.org
- Fatherhood Forever Foundation (general information and help for men) www.fatherhoodforever.org
- Reclaiming Fatherhood (more services for men) www.menandabortion.info
- Breast Cancer Prevention Institute (excellent breast cancer info) www.bcpinstitute.org
- ProLifeInfo.org (general info and good list of complications) www.prolifeinfo.org/risks.html
- Option Line (support and assistance for pregnant women) www.pregnancycenters.org
- Silent No More (opportunities to share public testimonies) www.silentnomoreawareness.org
- Her Choice (real audio clips of PAS testimonies from women and men) www.herchoice.org
- Priests for Life (healing and real testimonies) www.priestsforlife.org/postabortion/postabortionmaster.htm
- Ramah International (lots of PAS info and help) www.ramahinternational.org